Sunday 19 June 2011

Hotaru Madness

I found this Japanese drama after I got tired watching Korean dramas non-stop. Not that I swear I’m not gonna watch another Korean drama again but I think I just need variety. Thus, good thing I did because I discover this entertaining Japanese drama entitled Hotaru no Hikari. So, let me play with the words as I describe the three main leads and my thoughts about them and their personalities.

Hotaru Amemiya at Home
Innocent, cute, adorable, pure and efficient office woman that’s how I see Amemiya Hotaru— the heroine in this quirky Japanese drama played by a very talented actress Ayase Haruka. Amemiya was described as a “himono-ona” which imply to a woman who do good at work but prefers to laze around at home after office hours instead of looking for love. She fell in love with Teshima, her officemate from London. But she struggles to show her true feelings to Teshima because she is ashamed to show her real normal self at home aggravated by her long vacation from having intimate relationships. Good thing she was cheered and counseled by Seiichi Takano who happens to be her boss and accidental housemate. So, she ends up confessing with Teshima after being trap in the conference room a couple of times and experienced the joy of falling in and out of love all over again.

Hotaru Amemiya at Office
I really felt bad for what happen to Amemiya in the story. I can definitely feel her pain. Her love for Teshima was real and pure too bad she wasn’t able to get through the awkwardness and her insecurities. I wish she was able to show her real side without being afraid of rejection. Yes, she did tell Teshima some of her weird habits but it wasn’t enough to make the relationship work. For me, a more mature man suits her best, though I really shipped for Hotaru-Teshima love affair.




Seiichi Takano aka Boucho
Straight forward, sensitive, supportive with high-level of maturity, these describe the main male lead in the story, Seichi Takano aka “Bochou/Manager”. His wife left him for another man so he suddenly had an urge to go back in his parents’ house and self introspect. He was extremely surprised to find out that someone is squatting in the house who happens to be Amemiya—one of his subordinate at the design team. They had a very interesting relationship not seeing each other as man or woman but just boss and subordinate. They had an honest and frank relationship which became the center of jealousy of Teshima.

I admire the maturity of the male lead (bochou), probably brought by age, experience and his current situation that he didn’t overtly compete with Teshima even though he knows deep inside that he has already something for Amemiya. I adore how he supported Amemiya all through out to win Teshima. In this drama, I really didn’t feel that he was suited as a lover but just as a BIG brother, teacher, matchmaker and counselor. But I still like the confession in the end; maybe I was not just expecting too much because I’m fully satisfied with their chemistry from the start.

Immature with trust issues but when he expresses his affection to his girl, I suddenly feel gigglish like a teenager— Makoto Teshima. He is a returning employee from London and he was infatuated by Hotaru— assuming that she was a mature woman. Their love story started when he kissed Amemiya while she was sleeping in the chair which Teshima designed. From then on, his heart was captured by Hotaru although his feeling didn’t grow into a full bloom unconditional love.

Makoto Teshima
My bias mind tells me not to write about him because I hate how he gave up his love for Amemiya when I already fell in love with both of them (sigh). INSECURITY, I think this maybe the main reason why he ended up empty handed. He always points out how comfortable Hotaru with the manager when all Amemiya thinks of is him. In fairness to Amemiys she really did love Teshima, although she wasn’t able to get to the level of comfort similar with her relationship with the manager. But to think of it, it took time before Hotaru and the Manager got along. I wish Teshima is mature enough to know the “takes time” thing. Anyways, I believe Teshima was a fan of the overly used quote, “When you love someone, set them FREE” but his act for me only shows his insecurity towards Hotaru’s relationship with the Manager. Yet, I’ll still give him credit for the move because it isn’t easy to let go of someone you really love (?).

Conclusion

I enjoyed this Japanese drama a lot. The story is simple and light but it entertains you so much. It is something that will make you smile unconsciously and even laugh hilariously. I’ll give this Japanese drama 9.8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment