Wednesday 7 September 2011

Girls Cross-Dress to Guys Drama Mania

I must admit, I’m a bit magnetize with girls cross-dress to guys drama genre. To mention some, once upon a time I was so in love with Coffee Prince, Queen Seon Duk, Sukyuwan Scandal, You’re Beautiful and Hana Kimi (original version). Not to mention my favorite Disney Princess is Mulan, lol— major revelation!
I guess I’m not alone since these dramas ended up becoming a major hit in their own respective period. There is something within the genre that attracts a lot of viewers, especially, girls I guess.

Anyone is free to oppose but I think the most exciting part with this kind of story is the pretension phase— where the girl is trying awfully hard to act as a guy so not to get caught. Then, as the story progresses, the closest guy will tend to fall for the girl-pretending-be-a-boy heroine and in the end, they will fall for each other. Then, there’s your happy ending. Quite simple plot, but the execution will basically make or break the whole story.

Speaking of sort-of-tomboyish type of drama, I’m watching a couple of them right now, namely, Ouran High School Host Club, Ikemen Desune, and My Binondo Girl. 

ouran-high-school-host-club

First, Ouran High School Host Club was taken from the anime with the same title. I never got the chance to watch the anime version and I chose not to, cause it will just spoil my expectations like what happen to Nodame Cantabile 3 (which they compressed to a 2 hour movie ). To give you a brief overview, this story revolves within an elite school’s host club and a smart commoner, named Haruhi . One day, Haruhi, the heroine is looking for a place to study when she accidentally went inside the host club’s headquarter. On the way out, she knocked down an eight million worth of vase so she acquired an instant debt to the host club. Since she has no way to pay it in cash, she has to be a host instead. At first, no one noticed that she was a girl but it was earlier revealed. Episode by episode, every host is starting to show their interest towards Haruhi. I can’t blame them, cause she is really likable. 

What I like about this drama? It’s Haruhi’s character. She is a calm non-exaggerated girl. I kind a like her flat affect personality. She’s mature compare to the other characters especially the handsome hosts. 

ikemen desu ne poster

Next is Ikemen Desu ne. This is the Japanese version of the hit Korean Drama “You’re Beautiful”. Like the common stigma with remakes, this jdrama received a couple of hate and comparison from the earlier version. In the long run, I think most of the viewers are realizing the individuality of each dramas and some ate their nasty words. 

The story is about a young sister wannabe who ended up being a member of the very popular iconic boy group Anjell as temporary replacement to her twin brother who happens to be recuperating from a surgery (woah that’s long). She pretended to be a guy but she was busted early by Ren, the lead male. Ren threatened her to expose the truth but she managed to make him understand her situation and so he gave her a chance.

This Japanese version made some additions to the original story, like the orphanage concert which is nice. Also, is it me or Mio looks like Park Shin Hye??? I think she is portraying the role quite well  and I like her male fashion sense.

my binondo girl poster

Last is My Binondo Girl. FYI: Binondo is also known as China Town in the Philippines. It started with Jade’s Filipina Mother and Chinese Father separated when Jade was young. Her mother decided to go back to the Philippines and lived with her grandmother. Years after, Chen Sy, Jade’s father went back to the Philippines from China to look for his son, Yuan—Jade’s younger brother. Chen Sy was not aware that Yuan died young and Jade’s mom didn’t care to inform him. And that’s where Jade got the idea to cross dress in order to  get close and be acknowledged by his father. 

I was really happy that ABS-CBN is trying to take risk with the kind of drama they are making these days. I’m not a fan of Kim Chiu, in fact I underrated her because of her body stature. On one hand, like I said, I like this type of drama and so far the story is getting interesting. Not to mention, I anticipate the Kim Chui’s connection with Xian Lim and Mateo Gudecelli.

There you go, those are some of my addictions these days, plus Zenkai Girl. I was watching Protect the Boss but it seems like it’s overrated so I dropped it halfway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment